At GovCrate we’re huge fans of Peer programming. It’s an approach where two or more developers work together in real-time to write code. The approach is widely adopted in the industry as it helps to improve the quality of code, reduce errors, and increase productivity. However, peer programming can also be challenging, especially when working remotely or with a partner who has a different skill level or coding style. That’s where GitHub Copilot Chat comes in.
This newly released feature of GitHub Copilot is a game-changer for peer programming. It provides an AI-powered chat bot developer experience that helps developers write code faster and with less work. With its ability to recognize code blocks, error messages, and generate unit tests, developers can now get in-depth analysis and explanations via a chat interface to improve their coding skills and collaborate more efficiently with their peers. According to GitHub, Copilot halves development time by having as much as 40% of users’ code being automatically generated¹. It’s a no-brainer for any organization relying on software engineers¹. It costs only $10 per month or $100 per year¹.
The video below explores the benefits of peer programming using GitHub Copilot Chat and how it can make the process even more effective.
Source: Conversation with Bing, 4/19/2023
(1) GitHub Copilot X: The AI-powered developer experience. https://github.blog/2023-03-22-github-copilot-x-the-ai-powered-developer-experience/.
(2) GitHub Copilot · Your AI pair programmer · GitHub. https://github.com/features/copilot.
(3) Microsoft Offers Private Preview for GitHub Copilot Chat for Visual …. https://visualstudiomagazine.com/articles/2023/03/24/visual-studio-chat.aspx.
(4) ChatGPT Vs. Copilot: Crucial Difference Between Two AI Giants. https://inferenz.ai/resources/blogs/chatgpt-vs-copilot-comparison-between-github-copilot-and-chatgpt/.
(5) Introducing GitHub Copilot X · GitHub. https://github.com/features/preview/copilot-x.